Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:28:01 -0800
From:         H R <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine break in

Mike, My last rebuilt wasserboxer engine didn't reach its optimum oil use and peak fuel efficiency until it had 40,000 miles on it. That's when the oil use finally leveled out at about 1/4 quart for 3,000 miles. I used the more expensive Mahle piston/cylinder set. It was a top-end rebuilt only. The way VW used to break in engines, don't know if they still do today, was to put them on a test-stand, then run them at full-throttle for 5 minutes. If they were still running after, they would be shipped out. The rest would be junked. Some engines never truly break-in, because they are just too pampered. One thousand and one oil changes and very slow driving doesn't "wear-in" engines. You can try to take your vanagon out for a spin at "high vanagon speed". Drive it at full-throttle for 10 minutes, then slow down, then 15 minutes full-throttle, the way they drive on the autobahn. Bring it up to 85 miles per hour sometimes (of course, only for research purposes) and see if that helps with lowering oil consumption. Disclaimer: I didn't say you should do this on public roads. Harald '90 westy

Mike Miller <mwmiller@cwnet.com> wrote:This is the first mention I've ever heard of an engine taking 30,000 miles to break in. Except for chrome rings which I don't believe are used much any more, I thought break-in was as complete as it was going to get at 8-10k in the worst case.

The reason this is of interest to me is my new engine has 18k miles on it and still uses a quart of oil every 8-900 miles. An amount I consider as evidence that something didn't seat.

After usual gentle break-in I'm down to trying 40 wt non detergent per the rebuilders suggestion. Any other ideas?

Mike