Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:34:30 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      another Calif stretch Vanagon project
Comments: To: "Syncro@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro@yahoogroups.com>

Late today I dropped off at a local fabricator's shop what is to be the rear section of a stretch Vanagon. I spent most of the day today and yesterday taking out the interior and removing everything underneath that bridged the line where the cut and splice will be. The donor of this main section is an 83 diesel Vanagon with a 5 speed. It was my recent daily driver until yesterday but a little body work and paint was already needed due to PO damage.

I spent much of Mon, Tues, Wed doing the same to a rear-crashed 86 Syncro before dropping it off Wed PM. I bought the ruined body and front suspension/running gear from a friend who had picked it up at a salvage auction. The front was pretty nice and the local availability of it prompted me to revisit my old dormant plans for a stretch. Using a Syncro for the front will give me a stronger suspension, bigger brakes, more tire/wheel options, and improved dash wiring system. The ability to end up with a stretch Syncro AWD at some point helped in the decision too though that is not a top priority. Only 2wd for now and a custom long driveshaft if I feel like it later.

Of course the famous Otmar did a stretch project a few years ago. He did the hard part himself but I am leaving it to a pro. Here is a link to his project for those who have forgotten or missed it.

http://www.evcl.com/vw/

I saw it in person at one of Steve Schwenk's get-togethers in SF about 2 years ago I think. Mine will be much shorter than Otmar's as I am only adding about 2 feet. I think his is closer to 5 feet. I am using 2 passenger models as donors and then I plan to make it a custom Poptop Camper if I am happy enough with the way it drives. The point of the added length is to allow a much larger 3 way fridge behind the driver's seat with a space opposite that behind the front passenger seat for a porta-potty. There would still be room for a standard full Westy interior in the remaining original space but I want to make a few changes so I will probably make it mostly from scratch. I could have fit everything into a standard Vanagon body but that would have seriously reduced the open floor area. My wife and I have camped many times in our various Vanagons and we have formed some opinions about what we would like to change for the extended traveling we plan to someday do. This is my chance to bring those changes about.

Mark Drillock, Vanagon nut with a very understanding wife