Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Nov 2002 08:53:02 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: emergency brake doesn't work well?
Comments: To: Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM>

Since you have an 85, you could have the old design ratchet/handle. They are more of a POS. The old handle is metal except for the button with a flexible rubber boot covering the workings.

The newer greatly improved type is longer for more leverage, has a grip that is better molded for the human hand, has more teeth in the ratchet, and comes with a hard plastic cover over the workings. Wives will love the change to a newer type, at least mine did. The molded plastic grip is not as freezing cold on cold mornings as the metal pipe handle of the old one. The longer handle is easier to reach with the seat slid forward to the short person position.

I have upgraded 6 or 7 older vanagons to the new style. The braking improvement is HUGE. Of course the rear brakes and cable must be adjusted properly in any case.

The newer style takes less effort to engage and disengage. It attaches with the same 2 bolts, uses the same cable, etc. The cable must be loosened almost completely before the swap can be done. Be sure to lube the threads with penetrating oil before turning the cable adjusting nut. Use vise grips on the solid rod to keep the cable from twisting while you turn the nut. If the nut is frozen, STOP. If you break the cable it is trouble to replace on 2wd models. No big deal on Syncros.

Mark

Dave Baker wrote: > > I suffer from a wimpy hand brake as well. My driveway has about a 20% > grade, and I have to set the handbrake, put it in first gear, AND place > bricks behind each wheel before I'm satisfied it won't roll away. The hand > brake alone won't do it. > > Had mine checked and adjusted by alledged professionals, but it didn't seem > to help much. > > Dave in KC > 85 Westy >