Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Nov 2002 07:56:52 -0800
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wanted: Factory(?) Dual Carb setup for '81 2.0 + FI system
              FT/S

I have had my '75 bus since 1982 and it went from the original fuel injection, to Eurospec solex dual carbs, to a single 2 bbl conversion and now has D-tronic fuel injection from a '73 412 sedan.

The original F.I. was unrepairable since the van was out of country and parts and adept mechanics were unavailable. The dual carb set-up worked well for a couple of years, but eventually would no longer run correctly because of throttle shaft leaks. I had no problems over 8 years with the single 2 bbl carb setups other than having to clean out the jets when the van set too long and the fuel gelled. I got the D-tronic FI off a parts car and decided to install it after familiarizing myself with the FI on my '91 Carat. The biggest problem I had was with the fuel gelling and clogging the fuel pump.

All the setups were dependable and worked well with the exception of the dual carbs which basically wore out.

I never noticed any difference in mileage with any of the setups, the van got 20 mpg when driven conservatively.

I'd have to say that problems with the van were easier isolate with the carb setups, because you could tell a lot quicker if the engine was getting fuel. Once you become familiar with either setup, troubleshooting was straight-forward.

I never had any problems with system operation under 45F, but I very seldom used the vehicle in that temperature range.

From my point of view, if you intend on using the vehicle daily, I would go with the fuel injection. If this was a weekend/vacation type of vehicle, I would go with the carb setup, mainly due to the expense and availablity of fuel pumps.

Good luck,

--- "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> wrote: > All I'd have to say is ask someone who has done it. Ask about: > > (a) dependability > (b) mileage > (c) ease of repair/maintenance > (d) cold weather operation (below 45 degrees F)