Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:56:09 -0800
From:         Brian Spisak <bspisak@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Cyl Head:  Stuck = Warped?

Hi all,

I've tried all the tricks (prying, pounding, twisting, wrenching, heating, cussing, oiling, and all of 'em over again) but cannot free one of my cylinders from the head. I did this job a year ago and had a stuck cylinder then, but eventually freed it with the help of some tips in the archves. Everthing was fine after that job until I recently overheated after breaking a fan belt. Ended up with the same problem as before - overheating due to compression leak into cooling system. Now what to do?

Option 1: Keep going till I somehow get it off. How likely that I'll crack the rings in the process (if I haven't already with all the pounding)? If the thing is that stuck, is the head warped? If so, bad enough to not seal after new gaskets? Any body have any new tricks to try?

Option 2: Pull the cylinder: I know it's a bear, but possible to get the thing back on. Will this damage the rings as they pass over any ridge at the bottom of the cylinder? If not, I don't see why I can't reuse the same rings?

Option 3: Pull the engine. Then I can rering the whole damn thing. Should I do the mains and rod bearings, too? With almost 200,000 miles am I better off with a lower mileage block?

Option 4: New engine. Expensive.

Option 5: Translplant. I have a Syncro and don't want to give up ground clearance, or raise the hatch because I always sleep downstairs. Are there any other options? I haven't seen any that satisfy both requirements.

Thanks for any advice, Brian *sigh* '87 Westy Syncro