Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:34:00 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW tools and 1.9L Engine rebuild
Comments: To: Curt Lewis <curtis-l-lewis@CFL.RR.COM>

I've rebuilt dozens of wasserboxers and have never used, or needed, any of these specialty tools.

A shift, or even a socket extension, will work fine for removing the piston pins.

If you're splitting the case, you'll be able to get the distributor drive out without a problem. Just make sure you reinstall it correctly when you reassemble the motor so you don't have to fish it back out of the case to move it one tooth. However, if you clean the case well enough, even this can be accomplished with a pair of snap ring pliers.

I've never needed the cylinder sleeve removal tool either.

Good luck and viel spass,

-jeff