Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Nov 2002 22:10:54 -0500
From:         "A. Widoff" <rompu@MHCABLE.COM>
Subject:      87 vanagon with oil pressure(?) trouble

hi there all,

wish i had something other than novice questions to contribute to this list...

background: išve had problems for a while, especially during the hotter days of summer which seems pretty normal for these engines. typical oil light and buzzer going off when engine gets a real workout. occasionally over this summer the van would lose all power and Išd have to pull over and let it sit for a while. Then it would be fine for another stretch. I found that by leaving the cover off the engine compartment I never really ran into trouble anymore, but the stereo listening environment was severely compromised. What I could never understand is that I never saw the temperature gauge go particularly high during any of these episodes.

now: I recently took a longer trip where the belt to the water pump broke. shortly after that, the pump itself broke. since the water pump was replaced i have the oil light and buzzer problem even when the outside temperature is cold. there is also a distinct but faint burning smell. it does not seem to be leaking antifreeze and the temperature gauge reads normal all the time (obviously when the pump and belt blew out the gauge was pinned high).

The other day it occurred to me that perhaps therešs a specific coolant that this system needs to function correctly? I wouldnšt be surprised if the mechanic who installed the pump didnšt know anything about it. Išve taken it back to him and he canšt come up with a good theory of whatšs going on. Any ideas / suggestions greatly appreciated.

THanks

Tony Widoff Hudson NY