Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Nov 2002 04:36:24 -0800
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: relay cost question
Comments: To: Neil Wasbrikoff <wasbrikoff@NETSCAPE.NET>
Comments: cc: Wolfsburg Campers <wolfsburg_campers@yahoogroups.com>

The part number for a stock isolation relay in a Vanagon Camper should be P/N 411 915 511B. The drawing on the side shows an internal diode connecting pin 85 and the solenoid.

Unless the wiring is burned up, there should be no reason to replace it. Typically, the plastic covers on the red terminal lugs do melt over time, but as long as the insulation on the wire is in good shape, the connections should be ok.

Replacing the relay is simply a matter of unplugging the wires one at a time, noting their position on the existing relay, then plugging them to the same terminal numbers on the new relay.

I would call some other VW dealers with the above P/N to see if they can get you the relay any cheaper. The relay can also be tested out of the vehicle. Any competent automotive electrical shop should be able to test it for you.

$239 is probably about right to replace the relay and all the wiring, with stock VW parts routed the correct way. The wires that connect the relay to the primary battery and the refrigerator power socket to the auxiliary battery are routed above the fuel tank, so it might be necessary to lower the tank to access any ties that hold the wiring in place.

Good luck,

Tim

--- Neil Wasbrikoff <wasbrikoff@NETSCAPE.NET> wrote: > Hello Volks, > > I just had my 1987 Westy looked at by VW - to help determine why my second > battery (under the drivers seat) was not charging when I drove it. They > determined it was the OEM VW battery relay and that it needs to be replaced. > > Cost: $239 > > It reaised a few questions for me. > > 1. Does the cost to replace sound high? It's hard to imagine a relay & wiring > costing too much. > > 2. Could any one comment on the ease of difficulty of installing or replacing > a relay? > > 3. Do I need to replace the wireing as well, or can I just replace the relay? > > VW wanted to charge me for replacing all the wires, and time involved to do > so. When I asked if the wired really needed to be replaced they argued that > they did. > > 4. Can anyone recommed a place to buy a battery relay? I'd enjoy taking a > shot at replacing this myself and saving some money. I can't afford to spend > $239 at this time. > > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. > Thanks, > Neil