Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Dec 2002 14:08:25 -0800
From:         dave bowers <dave@DAVE-BOWERS.COM>
Subject:      VW Solar battery chargers...

Hey folks,

Today while researching more on solar battery chargers, I came across this VW charger on eBay. Not too powerful but it might do the job.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873281439

I remember a thread from not too long ago regarding VW providing these chargers in the cars they ship so the battery stays fresh. They are not sold to the public.

This gave me the idea to email 3 of my local VW dealers to see if they might have any of these chargers, and if they would either sell or give me one.

One hour after emailing a local vw dealer I received a call. A kind service woman gave me the run down: the panels history, power output and that they can't be sold. She also mentioned they (the chargers) have a reputation for being cheap and unreliable. Well... I figure, you get what you pay for ... And since these are free ... I can live with that.

So, I am now the happy owner of a VW battery charger. They gave me 2 in fact. If it works, cool! If not .. I'll try to recycle it.

You might try giving your local VW service department a call, or drop them an email and ask if they have any left over they can part with. 5 minutes of typing and a one hour wait, and I now own one ... For free. Christmas early.

Would anyone know if these will charge while pointed up through a smoke brown skylight? Mine fits in the sky light area perfectly. The front windows of my Westy are often covered, however my sky light has good sun/sky exposure. I figured I'd try to prop my charger in my skylight where I get direct light.

I have no idea if this has a diode to detect low light conditions, and stop from draining the battery when not charging.

Good luck to who ever tries. It was really really simple. Heck, a phone call might get you even faster results.

Dave-o ___________________ dave bowers 1986 westy "hms-beagle" portland, oregon www.dave-bowers.com/vw