Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:53:34 -0800
From:         H R <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re Is this the Vanagon Syndrome?

Tom, Welcome to the "wicked world" of the vanagon syndrome. The worst thing about the syndrome is that you never really know if it is the syndrome or something else. That's why it's so "wicked". Before you do anything else, change the fuel filter, check your ignition switch by jiggling the keys when you're driving to see if it makes it cut out. Consider installing a new fuel pump relay, check the ground on the fuel pump and the ground for the ecu. I ran another separate ground wire to the ecu, and connected it to the original ground wire, since I couldn't find the ground connection for the original wire. If you do have the spliced O2 sensor, consider forking over the money for the vanagon oem O2 sensor. I've encountered several serious veteran vanagon hobbyists, who gave up on the spliced O2 sensor, because it was too troublesome. I've personally only used the oem O2 sensor. You already know about grounds, etc. So the other possiblity is the aging ECU, maybe bad solders. Darrell Boehler could possibly help you there. When I was battling with the "wicked syndrome", I even tried driving with the rear bench propped open, to keep the ecu cooler. It didn't help, but I did notice then how hot the ecu gets during long distance trips. So I've since installed a small muffin fan right next to the heat sink, and it does keep the ecu cool, and hopefully make it live longer. The cap fix is easily done, and inexpensive. It's not a fixall though, but it doesn't hurt either. Since I installed the cap on my vanagon, I haven't had the lurching problem. However, at the same time, I also did a few other fixes, so I'm not 100% sure what fixed the hesitation. Ironically my hesitation had gotten worse when I installed a new AFM, and then disappeared when I put the cap fix in the new AFM. Another thing that is suspect (since my intermittent syndrome also happened in California), is the MTBE gas additive used there. Maybe somehow it messes up the O2 sensor (?). On my last trip down to Cal, my vanagon ran great, no more lurching. Harald '90 westy