Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 2002 09:38:25 -0800
From:         Julianna Thoennes <mumbrue@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      cruise control

Hi there,

On the subject of cruise control, my brother is an expert. He has been installing after market cruise in Vanagons and older busses for 24 years. He is still installing them in Vanagons at his shop in Albany Oregon if anyone needs the job done. In fact he just installed cruise on an awsome grey 87 double cab on Friday. I rushed over to gawk cause I had never seen one up close. Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what my brother says about the DANA cruise (from a couple of months ago to another Vanagon customer):

Check with Bob in Portland. (same guy that brought in the doublecab) (Wetwesties) He has the after market cruise control, and wants it put into all his other Vanagons. The aftermarket cruise is very accurate, within the power of the vehicle of course. It does not draw vacuum off the engine. Most cruise control units do draw vacuum off the engine to operate. This is ineffecient in an underpowered vehicle, esspecially on grades. This aftermarket cruise, will pull full throttle on a grade. It has an over rev limiter, so if you fall asleep at the wheel, it will shut off. It moniters that motor. If there is a sudden change, it means you have left the road, or hit ice, and it shuts off. They are very safe, and this is the only one I trust, and recommend for a VW. (Dana cruise systems) There is also an optional clutch disengagement switch, so when you are driving, if you down shift, it kicks the cruise out.

More fom my brother Steve:

--- Original Message ----- From: LITTLE STEVE To: Julianna Thoennes Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 9:55 PM Subject: Re: Fw: cruise control

I RECOMMEND A DANA, OR NOW, CALLED AUDIOVOX CRUISE CONTROL, NON VACCUME, BUT ELECTRONIC SERVO, BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS...WILL GET YOU THE PART NUMBERS, AND PHONE NUMBER IF YOU HAVE A BUSINESS..OR YOU CAN GET IT THRU ME, OR PERHAPS A LOCAL SHOP IN YOUR AREA..THEY MAY HAVE TO ORDER COD...STEVE..PRO AUDIO..ALBANY OREGON..541.928.2207..PS..THEY SAY THAT CRUISE CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON A VANAGON...HMMM, CHECK WITH A FEW AROUND THE WETWESTIES.....STEVE..

Give him a call, or click on Little Steve just above the last message to write to him. Good luck!!!!!

Julianna 90 VW Vanagon Westfalia-Tiico conversion 76 VW Automatic Bay Westfalia