Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Nov 2002 21:56:49 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bucko update
Comments: To: "John S. Klun" <jklun@GJ.NET>

Hi John- Yes- it's now my opinion it's nothing under the hood. The problem happened while I was driving to Oregon two weeks ago, and did'nt occur till at about the 200 mile mark. Kinda rules out the possibility of the wires being crossed.

We are talking about a FI management system that has performed perfectly for 4 straight years. Tomorrow my search takes me back to the fuel lines, filter, tank. Could be a punk stuffed a rag in my tank.

I know a guy who felt something go thru the nozzle when filling up his Diesel tank years ago- turned out it was a shop rag- cut off his fuel supply. At this point, anything is possible. I'm certain there is a fuel starvation problem here. It revs and idles smoothly. It will no take a load, loads require more fuel, something that apparently can't be delivered sufficiently. I'll update you soon- Thanks-

Robert ----- Original Message ----- Wrom: MHVIBGDADRZF Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 3:55 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Bucko update

Robert-

Have you checked your plug wires? You know... 3 to 3, 4 to 4, etc. I had similar problems with mine and couldn't figure out what was going on. I checked and found I had reversed 1 and 3 wires. When I plugged them in correctly, it worked like a charm...

I've also had a problem on my truck; I had the dist. 180 degrees out and caused the same problems.

Robert Keezer wrote: > > Hello Vanagonians, > > For those of you who have been following my saga of cutting out , there is no progress report. This is mainly because there is no progress! > > Just to clarify- it's not grounds, air leaks, fuel supply power supply, etc. It starts up, it idles, it cruises on level ground. it can't take acceleration- if you push on the gas pedal gently or hard, it will buck-a buck-a buck-a. > For those who only understand carburetion it's like a major "flat spot" as if the accelerator pump was bad. > > Of course, in fuel injection there is no accelerator pump. > Also, when I shut off the key , it Diesels.Is the engine trying to tell me to switch to a Diesel engine?!! > The timing is OK, the dist has a new Hall sender-I knew it wasn't the Hall sender. > > Refreshing my memory and yours on verses from the Bosch Fuel Injection book, all indicators point to the AFM. > So, all of mine must have failed all at the same time! > > It can't take any acceleration. Now some might think well when you accelerate , the water in the tank of bad gas sloshes around ,and gets sucked in the pump. > Not if you drive like you have a robin's egg under your foot! > It's also a steady cutting out- you lurch -lurch -lurch evenly. > > So here's what I'm going to do - I'll take my AFM's somewhere to see if they are any good, and if not- then I'm switching it all over t0 95 Motronic like I wanted to a long time ago anyway. I have it all in a box . > > For you WBX drivers, it's the FI system that powers 93 and later Golf-Jetta etc. > There is no AFM in Motronic, but the hot wire mass air flow sensor with no moving parts, no wiper, no adjustment, no capacitor fix. > > Since the AFM syndrome affects WBX Digifant and well as 88-92 Golf-Jetta Digifant 2, this may be of some interest to you. > > In fact, I wonder if anyone has switched their Vanagon FI system to Motronic? If you can switch to carburetion, then you can also adapt a newer FI system. If you are one who has decided you'll never convert to a different engine, > more power and reliability will be had ,along with adaptive management and OBD (on board diagnosis. ) > > But I didn't say it will be easy. > > As before, your comments, advice, recommendations, and opinions are welcomed- > Thanks > > Robert > > 1982 Westfalia > SeattleGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.comGet more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com