Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:53:31 +0100
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      POR Patch Report  - (For Plastic Repairs!!)

Hi all,

I have been using POR-15 on various surfaces for almost a year now... and was so impressed with it that I decided to buy their "patch" material called POR Patch.

I had visions of patching up rusty seams, or holes in the foot step area with this goop.

I tried in the summer to use it on an area of the rear hatch with HORRIBLE results. Even though I wire brished the area and cleaned 2-3 times with Marine Clean, and even hit the bare metal with their Metal-Ready product.... the POR Patch bubbled and ended up creating a sponge in a rusty area... no good.

I got totally pissed, and was going to toss the stuff in the trash... and then I re-read the instructions and it mentioned that it is not intended for exterior body work.. OK, whatever... live and learn. I screwed up.

What it DOES work well on is PLASTIC REPAIRS!! This stuff dries almost rock hard, but just flexible enough to allow some stress (like for a screw being tightened on it), and allows sanding and cutting with a sharp knife for shaping.

I fixed a trashed skylight lever assembly cover (the one inside the Vanagon, Where you turn the knob to open the little skylight on the poptop) with GREAT RESULTS!! The bolt holes on the plastic housing were all broken, as the guy I got it from apparently felt that ripping it off was easier tahn taking the bolts out... I put a strip of wide masking tape on the bottom of the housing and gloped the POR Patch stuff on, making roughly the same shape as used to be there. I also coated over several areas that had bad cracking.

I also used it last week because I have my fiberglass rear bumper off to install a trailer hitch... I saw that the brackets attaching the bumper to the car were literally dust... so I bought new ones, and proceeded to try to remove the bolts with my ratchet... 3 came out, and one was completely rusted to the metal threaded grommet that is inserted into the recessed area in the bumper. So I stripped it, making a larger hole, and managed to get the threaded piece free. I cleaned the hole, and packed it full of this POR Patch, and pressed the threaded thing back in all the way. Today it is completely dry, I sliced the surface flush with a knife, and it is rock solid!!

The version I have is clear... apparently they make a silver which has metal threads in it. Be certain that all is dry and dust and grease free... it will adhere great if the surface is properly prepared.

Once I get my skylight housing thing sanded and sculpted to the correct shape, I will try to paint it with the black POR-15 and then that part will outlive all of us!

RSF

IMPORTANT!!! In order to reply to me, you must have the word "FISH" somewhere in the subject line of the email. Otherwise it goes directly in the trash.

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf