Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:40:41 -0500
From:         Neil Wasbrikoff <wasbrikoff@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      cold weather insulation idea...

Greetings Volks,

On a recent road trip, a friend and I ended up camping in the northern CA mountains. The temp dropped to 6 degrees. Brrrrr. We kept warm with flannel sheets up top, a down comforter and sleeping bag on top of that. No problem staying warm.

We we were preparing for a the long cold night, we realized we had some windshield reflective shades with a gold/metalic shiny surface. We were able to un-fold one, and rig it to the inside top of the pop top, with the reflective side shining back at us. Seemed to work well. We like the idea of it reflecting heat back at us. At the very least, it did not fall back down on us.

It made me wonder ... has any one considered lining their pop top with any kind of silver or gold reflective material (heck - in a pinch, even aluminum foil might work) to help reflect heat for the coldest conditions? It seems like a permanent piece could be created, or perhaps a temporary version help in by Velcro or even snaps.

Can anyone think of any disadvantages to doing this? It might create some moisture ... as far as retaining heat ... it seems like it should work (a-la a space blanket), We're good about air out out our tent and tackling visible moisture too.

We camp all the time in Kodiak and north of Anchorage, near Denali, and have done well with out an interior heater. We just had time to think up some new ideas when on our road trip down south.

just wondering, Neil

__________________________________________________________________ The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp