Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:00:37 -0800
From:         "Brian T." <nobleman36@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: FW: Salt project
Comments: To: "Baroga, Rico" <BarogaR@WSDOT.WA.GOV>
Comments: cc: wetwesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Sir,

Thank you for this information. I am including two of the lists I belong to in my reply. I suspect you may get some traffic from list members regarding their personal beliefs regarding road salting. The vehicles we chose to drive are older and the thought of putting them at risk is not acceptable to me.

Regards, Brian Tipsword Salem, Or ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ --- "Baroga, Rico" <BarogaR@WSDOT.WA.GOV> wrote: > As promised, this is a follow-up to your e-mail > regarding the use of salt on > highways in Washington State. Due to relatively > high number of citizen > inquiries, I've developed a standard reply that > provides additional > information on the salt pilot project (see > enclosure). > > The concerns that you have expressed have been > amongst our concerns as we > have developed this coming winter's test of salt > use. As such, we have > developed a very cautious approach to this pilot > project that minimizes > potential adverse impacts yet still provides us with > meaningful scientific > and management data with which we can make > well-informed policy choices in > the future. Two years ago, I also thought that salt > use on roads equated to > my car turning into "Swiss Cheese." However, after > studying related > research documents, working with metallurgists and > corrosion engineers, > having extended discussion and debates with > transportation officials in > several east coast and midwest states, and learning > about state-of-the-art > snow and ice control methodologies, I'm not so sure > about this. The data > from this project will significantly add to the > current body of knowledge on > this topic so we can make the best decisions in the > future considering all > facts and costs; certainly including corrosion costs > and impacts in our > analysis. > > If you have any further questions, comments, or > would like additional > information regarding this matter, please contact me > via e-mail or by > telephone at (360) 705-7864. > > Rico Baroga > WSDOT Maintenance Office > -----Original Message----- > From: MacDonald, Doug > Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 7:30 PM > To: 'Brian T.' > Subject: RE: Salt project > > > We appreciate your reply and your concern. I think > it is important for us > to be in touch about exactly what we are and are not > trying, and exactly how > we will evaluate the results of a program that is > definitely a "pilot." > Yours is not the only critical reply we have > received. In a few days I'll > be sure that you have a detailed reply that should > expand a bit on whatever > you read in the paper or heard on the radio. I > trust you will pass that > along, too, to the ski club, etc. We want you here! > We also want you safe! > By the way, as a pragmatic matter, if you come up > I-5 to ski in Washington, > you're not going to find much roadway salt, since > the pilot is limited to > I-90 in the eastern part of the state and SR 6 in SW > Washington. That is > not intended to diminish your concern about the > strategy. We'll be in > touch! We need snow, by the way, either to ski or > to de-ice! > > -----Original Message----- > From: Brian T. [mailto:bst@open.org] > Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 1:17 AM > To: MacDonD@wsdot.wa.gov > Subject: Salt project > > > Sir, > > It is with great dismay that I was directed to an > article regarding the use > of salt as a deicer on your roadways. If this is > indeed the case you can > count on zero tourist revenue from my family and > everyone else I can pass > this article along to. If I wanted to turn my > vehicle into Swiss cheese I > would just go and park it in the surf. > > To be more direct salt is bad... not only for the > roadway and general > infrastructure, but to all motor vehicles and should > not be used. Your > assumption that vehicles are better able to > withstand this corrosive is > mistaken and I am certain that the people I know > won't allow their vehicular > investment to be undermined by this action. Who has > a spare thirty thousand > laying around to purchase a decent vehicle every > couple of years? Not me! I > am forwarding this article on to about a hundred > people I know in my car and > ski/alpine club for their dissemination. I'm > banking on the old adage, I > tell two friends and so on. > > Sincerely, > Brian S. Tipsword > Salem, Or > > > > > > > > > > <http://access.wa.gov/> Access Washington News > <http://www.access.wa.gov/news/images/news.jpg> > <http://access.wa.gov/> Access Washington Home > <http://www.access.wa.gov/news/article.asp?name=n0211107.htm&awver=5> > Text > Version <http://www.access.wa.gov/images/sp.gif> > <http://www.access.wa.gov/search/> Search > <http://www.access.wa.gov/images/sp.gif> > <http://www.access.wa.gov/siteinfo/> Site > Information > <http://www.access.wa.gov/images/sp.gif> > <http://www.access.wa.gov/news/article.asp?name=n0211107.htm#> > Customer > Support > > > > > Washington State Department of > <http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/> Transportation > > > Date: November 20, 2002 > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE > Contact: Rico Baroga, WSDOT Maintenance, > 360-705-7864 (Olympia) > > > Changing technologies allow WSDOT to look again at > salt > > > OLYMPIA -- Advancing highway maintenance > technologies, motor vehicle > manufacturing and bridge construction technologies > are allowing the > Washington State Department of Transportation > (WSDOT) to take a new look at > an old product for highway snow and ice control -- > salt. This winter, WSDOT > will conduct a pilot project on two state highways > to analyze the effects of > salt both on roadway driving conditions and on > corrosion factors. > > > The salt applications pilot project will take place > at the following > locations: > > > * Interstate 90 between the Interstate 82 > interchange (east of > Ellensburg) to the Columbia River Bridge at Vantage; > > > * I-90 between the Grant/Adams county line (east of > Moses Lake) to the > Lincoln/Spokane county line; and > > * State Route 6 between Chehalis and Raymond (salt > brine only) > > For approximately 15 years, WSDOT has relied > primarily on alternative > chemical de-icers to minimize snow and ice on state > highways. However, WSDOT > believes that now is the time conduct the pilot > project on salt for several > reasons: > > * For the last 20 years, automobile and truck > manufacturing industries > === message truncated ===