Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:54:21 -0800
From:         Matt Ratto <mratto@UCSD.EDU>
Subject:      gas, spark, still no love

Well, here I am again. Diesel - gas conversion. Gas motor is CIS (not CIS-E) from 1986 Golf (engine code GX). I turn the car over and every now and again get a detonation - sometimes even a series, but can't get it running. I don't know what else to try at this point. Here's what I've tested:

Spark - good jolt from the primary coil, tested electronic ignition module (faulty) and replaced it. New plugs, wires, good cap and rotor. Made sure of firing order, and used timing light to position the distributor so that timing is close to correct. Put the timing light also on other spark plug wires to make sure they were firing as well. (I was worried about the Hall sender.) So far so good.

Gas - Replaced leaky run between intake manifold and CIS fuel distributor, plugged holes in intake, put vacuum lines on. Pulled injector #1 and #2 (but not 3 and 4) and verified fuel flow on cranking. Also tested cold-start and thermo-time switch - everything works. I pulled the idle mixture plug out and played a little with the allen screw adjustment but with little change. I'm pretty sure I'm getting gas into the cylinders - some of it is leaking out of the exhaust manifold (which is something that I am worried about - I thought that was pretty well torqued down.)

Questions I have:

First, how can I test that the mixture is right? Also, is it possible for the injectors to be firing and the system pressure be too low or possibly too high? I can't test that without some more money spent on test equipment.

Second, I don't have the electronic component ( I think this is the KA Jetronic ECU) hooked up to the fuel distributor. I figured that without an oxygen sensor it won't make much difference for now. (as soon as I get my new exhaust this is all going in.) I'm also not sure how this unit effects the fuel distributor. I've been told that the engine will run without all of this - although it will probably need to be adjusted via the mixture screw because they tend to run lean without the ECU.

Finally, can anyone think of anything else to test?

thanks for any help,

Matt

------------------------------------- Matt Ratto Ph.D. Candidate University of California, San Diego mratto@ucsd.edu http://communication.ucsd.edu/mratto --------------------------------------