Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:46:30 -0000
From:         Clive <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas mileage
Comments: To: Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>

Might I suggest that unless you are doing thousands of miles a week then these sort of 'estimates' of fuel consumption are hopelessly inaccurate. I have tried to make this point about 6 months ago when I joined the list, but to no avail. The biggest factors that affect fuel consumption are ambient temperature, wind and driving conditions, the engine's vagaries being easily secondary to this unless the thing is 'obviouly' running appallingly - in which case, the query would be of another nature.

To do a good few hundred miles 'around town' , unless you mean 'around city' without intrespersing any other journeys would perhaps be rare, and we all know that only on the open road do milesper gallon mean much, as opposed to gallons per hour.

I would suggest that the odd drop in consumption is more likely to be a fill-to-fill error eventually making its presence felt, unless you are actually using a pipette to fill the tank. If you plot 'fill-to-fill' and 'running-mean' figures against mileage on an Excel or similar chart then you should see these trends balance out....

..unless you've got a leaky fuel filler pipe (syncro), overfill the tank, use different filling stations and pumps or have leaky/drippy injectors and let the vehicle idle a lot.

Clive '88 Syncro Transporter ----- Original Message ----- From: Mike Miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 4:07 PM Subject: Gas mileage