Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Dec 2002 21:35:08 -0800
From:         Toma Keller <3kellers@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Electric Gremlin

Dear List, Baltimore got it's first decent snowfall in two years and along with that something strange happened in my '91 Vanagon GL. I bought this van in April and at the time I had interior lights when I turned on the lights at night. I could adjust the brightness on the dash pod however, I had the following issues which I did not resolve because I felt they were minor; the Auto tranny lighting didn't work so at night you couldn't see what gear you were in, the light for the heating fan for the main front heater was out and the interior lights didn't light when you opened the doors although they could be turned on.

Last night, I went to move the van in the driveway and when I turned it on and turned on the lights, I had outside lights but no interior lights, everything was dark. I can still turn on the interior lights and the radio still has power and all other electrical seems to be working but the interior dash lights are not functioning. Also, the turn signal indicator light comes on for left and right turns, the brake light comes on at start up if the parking brake is on, the bright beams function and the led for them works as well. The "fasten seat belt" led also lights upon ignition and goes out after several seconds as it always has.

I checked fuse number three and it is fine. I even swapped it with number four and the fuse worked to test the four way flashers. Now the question is, where do I begin looking? Is there another fuse for these lights? Did something else blow that I should be looking for? Has anyone else ever seen this type of problem? Could the problem be in the switch? How do I go about finding the problem?

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice,

Toma