Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:30:25 -0500
From:         Gary McEachern <GlmceN@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: convert auto trans to manual?
Comments: To: Sean Solowiej <sean@ORIGINALIDIOT.COM>

Sean This can be done... no cutting or welding is necessary, but a lot of work. You need the tranny, flywheel, clutch, starter, the complete shifter and linkage, both MT halfshafts, the pedal assembly, master and slave clutch cylinders and the pipes and hoses and clips between them. You will need to remove the dash to replace the pedal assembly (groan), bypass or replace the hoses that go to the auto tranny cooler, re-wire backup light from auto shifter to the switch on the transmission and replace front rug and plastic cover in center beneath dash(cosmetic).

I swapped a good auto transmission and all the automatic related parts mentioned above for those from a 4 sp MT van. It's a lot of work! If you do it would recommend buying a new clutch kit plus master and slave cylinders if you do this conversion.

The 4 speed is apparently less reliable than the auto tranny! I would only recommend doing this if you have a strong preference for the 4 speed vs. the automatic!

Gary

Sean Solowiej <sean@ORIGINALIDIOT.COM> wrote:

>I'm thinking of trying to put a manual trans (from air-cooled 83) into a 90 >Carat automatic. (Obviously money is an issue). Please let me know why >this might be a bad/good idea. >It seems the hardest thing I can foresee is transferring the shifting >linkage and adding the hydraulic clutch pedal assembly. Has anyone here >done this? > >Since the clutch and brake use the same fluid reservoir, is it reasonable to >assume I can add a clutch master cylinder under there? > >Thanks, >Sean Solowiej >

-- Gary McEachern Reading, Ma '90 Westy Subavanagon '86 Wolfy Subavanagon '87 Syncro (Son's van)

__________________________________________________________________ The NEW Netscape 7.0 browser is now available. Upgrade now! http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp