Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Dec 2002 16:14:31 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 1.9L Problems Persist
Comments: To: DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM

In a message dated 12/7/2002 9:15:55 AM Pacific Standard Time, DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM writes:

> Isn't it reasonable to believe > that various components and sensors are still in the same state they were in > before the head repair and that I did something with the hoses and/or > injectors on the right head that messed something up?

Dave--

I've just returned to the list af a hiatus, so I don't know what info you've gotten on past querries. So I may repeat some ideas.

I have the 1.9L in my 83.5 bus. I had a similar problem when I got the bus about 5 years ago. The problem was I was stuck in a place where I tried to use "isn't it reasonable to assume..." and other forms of logic to solve the bus's problems. ;)

Seriously though, I did have a similar problem. No exactly the same, but close enough to warrant discussion here. My bus ran fine at start up then after a few minutes the idle would hunt and then sometime run so low the bus would stall. Here's what I'd check.

First of all if you need the 02 sensor disconnected for proper running before the new head, I would say the 02 sensor is suspect. If, as you said you have disconnected the 02 sensor, this solves the problem then change the 02 sensor. Frankly I'd change the 02 sensor anyway as they're always in need of it--I mean sort of. What I mean is they are always suspect.

Back to your prior experience with the 02 sensor disconnected I'm curious what the symptoms were that lead you to disconnect it.

My bus also acted awful until I cleaned and secured the eight or so small ground straps that attach to the left side of the engine and are for the fuel injection system. A bad ground of these straps will cause all kinds of funk in the Fuel Injection operation. They are located under the manafold on the driver's side (assuming you're in KS, Kansas. I'm not sure which side the driver's side is if it's KS Missouri. But facing the engine from behind the bus we're talking aobut the left side.)

Also I've found the timing on this engine is crucial. I also found it a little difficult to adjust on the Vanagon. The trick is to set up the timing light according to bently bypassing the--what the heck is it? I can't recall, but it's in the Bentley which I don't have on me right now. once you've done that, I've found you have to move the distributor to adjust the timing then wait a good 60 seconds and check the reading at the timing mark with the timing light. I guess it takes a few seconds or so before the computer adjusts to the distributor adjustment.

In the past I had made the mistake of lining up the timing mark using the timing light only to find that once the system adjsuted in those following 30-60 seconds the timing was not set right. So it's a trial and error and a bit of hunting kind of thing.

Having said all that, it could be a vacuum leak. And you said you just replaced the right side head. So there is a possiblity there. You can check with some WD 40 by having the engine running and spray the WD 40 on the vacuum connections. If the engine surges in speed then you've found your leak. BUT USE CAUTION!!!! The WD40 is highly flammible. Have a fire extinguisher on hand and use it carefully and sparingly.

In my estimation the new head installation will definatley change the timing, if only slightly. Things will sit slightly differently and the like. So if you haven't adjusted the timing since the swap that's a good place to start. But again it sounds the 02 sensor was not working before the swap and therefore certainly won't be working now. And all the adjusting of the timing won't change that.

See if any of that makes sense or helps.

Good luck Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA