Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:52:03 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      FW: My first set of heads ?

My opinion: If you are going to do this then using a set of used heads is a gamble. It is less of a gamble if you are taking them to a local machine shop, and having them pressure tested and also checked for straightness. If there is any pitting it should be filled with JB weld and the head sanded down. However most of the time the cracks between the valves are large. You wind up with a head that either has a crack that is so big that you already have a leak (coolant into combustion chamber) or soon will. Also with the cracks between the valves there is the possibility of dropping a valve seat. Occasionally you can find a set of good used heads with no cracks between the valves (rare). These would probably be the only set I would use. Get them pressure tested and while they are at it, have a valve job done.

New heads or low mileage heads are the only way I like to go. I sell new AMC heads with valves and springs already installed and ready to go for $395. This is the fastest, and best way to go if you have the money. These are great heads, they bought the molds from VW so the castings are OE and they have even updated the alloy to make them more resistant to corrosion. I have not had a single problem using these heads. I have installed them myself on my own van and drove it for a few years. No problems! List member discount of 5% would apply to these.

Also before you put the new gaskets on I would check the case for pitting. Any pitting you see should be filled with JB weld and then sanded smooth. I have only had one head gasket job I have done ever leak and it was because of a severely pitted case. I learned that lesson the hard way, so now I always fill the pits in the case, and I have had no more problems.

We have German engine gasket kits that include the black and yellow sealant and all of the o-rings and gaskets you will need to do your head change for $120. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242 -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Herb Mooney Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 6:22 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: My first set of heads ?

Well... replaced the exhaust, clutch, and alternator so far in my 91 Vanagon. Now I noticed the drivers side head gasket is dripping antifreeze. I guess it's time to do the gasket. I'm new to this problem so what should I expect to pay for a set of complete heads in case mine need to be machined? I figure I should buy a set to swap in for a quicker repair, but will have the old set machined for back ups. I'm assuming I shouldn't drive the Vanagon till it's been fixed or can I get away with a little driving till I find new heads? It's dripping very slowly and not overheating. No fluid in the oil so far. I noticed some used ones on ebay, is this asking for trouble? Thanks for the advice,

BTW - anyone have a set of heads I can buy for my 2.1?

Herb in PA ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben T" <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 5:43 PM Subject: Re: cool panelvan on ebay.de