Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:29:31 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer Reputation  . long

I thought I might throw in my two cents worth...

#1. As with most things, I look at the market to determine worth and value. From my observations, water-cooled Vanagons (incl. Westphalia's) sell for substantially more than their air-cooled counterparts. For example, I have an '83 air-cooled Westy I can't give away (okay, give away is probably wrong, but I get no interest when advertised for $2500).

#2. I frequent the local auto auctions, good running air-cooled Vanagons often sell for less than $250, and even then, the auctioneers almost have to beg for bids. Good running wasserboxers sell for much, much more, often breaking $1500, even for an old 1984. I also attend the local insurance auctions, and local dismantlers DO NOT want air-cooled Vanagons (with the exception of Westy's), apparently most them go directly to the crusher.

#3. I've been working on VW's since the early 70's and I'll take a properly rebuilt wasserboxer motor over an equally rebuilt air-cooled motor any and every day. A well maintained WBX will give it's owner well over 100,000 miles of service without any more trouble than any other water-cooled engine (e.g., Honda, Toyota, etc.). The biggest problem with the WBX has been owners, or mechanics, who didn't understand how to maintain the WBX. Too many WBX's that had the wrong coolant or didn't have the cooling systems serviced when required developed leaky head gaskets, which in turn gave the motor a bad reputation. Additionally, you have owners and mechanics who do "cheap fixes" (i.e., JB Welding the cylinder head or putting Bars-Leak in to seal leaks), and then complain when it doesn't work and they have to do it right the next time.

#4. Vehicles progress with time. The air-cooled motor was great in it's time. Unfortunately, emissions, reliability and power requirements meant the end of the air-cooled motor in newer vehicles. Also, and unfortunately as well, with progress the price tends to go up. This is true for any vehicle, a 1999 Golf engine will cost you a lot more to repair than a 1985 Golf, just as a 2.1 liter WBX will cost more to repair than a 1.6 liter type 1 engine.

These are just my opinions and observations and not meant to be a personal attack on anyone or the beginning of a religious crusade. Everyone has different experiences and these experiences will shape our opinions. I've had excellent luck with both air-cooled and water-cooled Vanagons, it just happens I now prefer the wasserboxer. Who knows, perhaps some day I'll put a Subaru motor in one of my Vanagons and then I'll become an evangelist for engine conversions. Till then, I'll continue to be happy with my WBX's.

BTW: Stan Wilder... if you every have problems finding used parts for that air-cooled engine, I know plenty of places that have piles of air-cooled Vanagon parts...

Jeff '83 Westy (air-cooled) '84 L '85 GL '87 GL '88 Wolfsburg