Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:46:07 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer Reputation  . long
Comments: To: jeff@TSSGI.COM

These are just my opinions and observations and not meant to be a personal attack on anyone or the beginning of a religious crusade. Everyone has different experiences and these experiences will shape our opinions. I've had excellent luck with both air-cooled and water-cooled Vanagons, it just happens I now prefer the wasserboxer. ---------------------------- Clip --------------------- Jeff an others. Please take note that I very seldom give advise on any Waser Boxer post .......... I simply know nothing about them. The Vanagon list is primarily Waser Boxer folks and I realize that with 1150 Waser boxer members and only 20 or so Air Cooled drivers (that is just a guess) it often strikes me as *Waser Boxers* are overwhelmed with problems. The things they have problems with are in as good part related to parts that are not on an air-cooled. I like helping the Newbie air cooled guys through their problems and understanding that these Air Cooled need to be mollycoddled throughout their life to have any measurable life. The never ending conversations on engine conversions leads me to believe that many (not everybody) can for see the day that they'll be making a conversion to another engine. When someone calls me a 'points and plugs' mechanic I'm not insulted at all. Other than the one situation when I was a new owner of my 83 and seized a piston I've had trouble free operation of my Air cooled for well over 180,000 miles. Even with a rebuilt engine installed last year I still consider that I've operated this vehicle twenty year old van for only pennies a day and never been stranded, towed, jump started or pushed to get or keep going. The numbers of Vanagon style Waser Boxers manufactured was many more than the Vanagon style Air Cooled vans and that could very well why I see a higher number of them in the wrecking yards I frequent. When I go to E/bay I see a multitude of Waser Boxer parts that could only be coming from cars being wrecked out ........... this tells me that many owners have reached their limit of patience and financial investment required to keep their beloved water cooler on the road. I've never bought an 80-83 Air Cooled Westy that wasn't fast approaching crusher meat so I know they went through a long period of neglect, most by people that didn't bother to become educated on any requirements of any VW Vehicle. Even with "Points and Plugs" limited level of inelegance required on much of the Vanagon it still has a lot of preventive maintenance on it and are all part of getting there and back safely. Since VW Bus, Vanagon, Westy drivers are mostly driving their collectable car on a daily basis and on extended journeys it's only natural that we have this active list. With the option of two other vehicles (both newer) to drive I still chose my Westy to go more than 1200 miles last week on daily 200+ mile round trips. Truly there is something addictive about a properly maintained and tuned Westy whether it be Water or Air Cooled.

Stan Wilder

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com