Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:01:55 -0600
From:         Reid Anderson <cruisermantis@HOME.OFF-ROAD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is propane more dense in cold weather?
Comments: To: warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM

----- Original Message ----- From: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>

<snip> Then another employee told me that the fuel is denser in the winter and so the tank holds more. News to me. I expect either dire warnings from you to either let out the excess, or that this 76 station is in big trouble. <snip>

Oh. That makes perfect sense (not). The fuel is more dense. Therefore it takes 4.2 gallons (measure of volume) to fill a 3 gallon (measure of volume) tank. Yea.

If you purchased propane by the pound, and it normally took x pounds to fill a given volume container, but in winter it is more dense, you would be able to fit more than x pounds into the same volume container in winter.

However, we're dealing with volume / volume here. To say that it's more dense in winter is all well and good. And maybe it is - so maybe there is more potential energy contained in the 2.8 pounds you bought. But to say that the higher density allows 4.2 gallons to fit into a 3.0 gallon tank is a crock. 4.2 gallons of *anything* has to be contained in a 4.2 gallon tank. This is so basic. We're obviously not dealing with an intelligent vendor, here.

Reid