Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:18:34 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Is propane more dense in cold weather?
Comments: To: warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM

You better take these guys to task before they rip off somebody else or kill somebody.

You can never put 4.2 gallons of anything in a 3 gallon tank. Witness Dolly Parton when she put 10 gallon boobs in a 5 gallon brassiere for the Country Music Awards once and blew out the front of her dress. Had it all pinned together for the big show!

Exception is gaseous state, then you're talking a whole 'nother ball game. Requires an additonal understanding of Boyles Laws.

Compressability, temperatures, partial pressures, etc, etc, etc. But you are talking liquids here, You could split hairs, I guess, because liquids do expand and contract to some small degree, but not 1.2 gallons worth for propane.

Go get'um.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Robert Keezer wrote: > Hello propane professors- > > Here is a question for you: is propane more dense in cold weather than warm? Dense enough at 40 degrees F to fill the standard Vanagon Westfalia propane tank to 4.2 gallons? > I have been filling my pair of Westy propane tanks year round for six years, and never has anyone put in 4.2 gallons of propane. I'm well-read on all the safety warnings about not filling a tank more than 80%. > > I watched the attendant fill the tank, and he stopped filling when gas began venting from the 80% valve. > This is a 3 gallon tank, and filling it 80% is about 2.8 gallons. How did they get 4.2 gallons in the tank? I told the manager and they said the meter was recently calibrated. they proved they reset the meter before filling my tank. > I notice nothing unusual about my stove or heater functions. > > Then another employee told me that the fuel is denser in the winter and so the tank holds more. > News to me. I expect either dire warnings from you to either let out the excess, or that this 76 station is in big trouble. > > Robert > > 1982 Westfalia > > > > > Robert > > > 1982 WestfaliaHolen Sie mehr aus dem Web. Unter http://explorer.msn.de/intl.asp#de gibt es einen KOSTENLOSEN Download von MSN Explorer. >