Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Dec 2002 23:25:41 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer Reputation  . long

I have to respectfully disagree with both of you. First, having owned a 1980 Civic, 1983 Corolla, 1985 Accord, 1986 Civic 4x4 Wagon (yes, you read that right!), 1989 Civic, 1996 Civic, and now a 2003 Accord, I have to say that their repair record is FAR superior to that of my 1987 Vanagon and my ex-2000 Passat. With my Hondas there was never any dreaded head gasket leak problem, no ground problems, no sensor problems, no rusting control arm, no overflowing gas tank, no rough idle in cold weather, no overflowing coolant expansion tank, etc., etc., ad nauseum. All I ever had to do, basically, was change the oil, rotate the tires, do the routine tune-up type service every 30K miles and replace the tires. A clutch became routine maintenance at 130K, a transmission at 165K, never replaced an engine . . . unlike the Vanagon where it is quite common to have to rebuild the engine at 80-100K.

Whether a vehicle uses fuel injection or carburetion is hardly a measure of its level of technological sophistication and is certainly no yardstick for condemning a vehicle in a technology debate. The fact that a Honda will run reliably, get great gas mileage, shift and accelerate smoothly, and have sporty handling all speak volumes to me in terms of their technology. It doesn't matter if you put the latest technological bells and whistles in a vehicle if it won't run right much of the time.

Now, has VW gotten their act together? I don't think so. In the 30K miles, 18 months, that I owned my Passat, it ran properly for three out of those 18 months and I spent more than twice as much money repairing it as I did in the 5 years, 80K miles that I owned my last Civic and three times as much as I spent on my Vanagon in the same time period. I had a long talk with the service manager at the local VW dealership about this and he said that most Passats were very reliable but that some of them had an inordinate number of electrical problems that were near impossible to fix. So, is my car a lemon? Who knows? Is it representative of the state of VW's cars today? No, not necessarily. However, EVERY person that I've talked to that owns/owned a Passat said that they had NUMEROUS electrical problems with their cars. The fact that VW touts software as the future of automotive technology concerns me more because they can't even program a transmission chip properly for an automatic transmission. Even when my Passat was running properly, it had a noticeable delay between shifts that was irritating at best and dangerous at worst. My 2003 Accord, on the other hand shifts almost instantly and smoothly.

Having properly tossed VW on their ear, one would wonder why I have a Vanagon at all. Well, my Hondas don't have two double beds, a fridge, running water and a two-burner stove. But they've also never left me abandoned on the side of the road on the way to a festival either. For the sake of my festival-going future, I hope VW can pull their head out of their rear-end and design a reliable vehicle in the T5. We'll see . . .

Marc Perdue