Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:40:25 -0500
From:         Harmon Seaver <hseaver@CYBERSHAMANIX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mercedes 5cyl 300TD in vanagon?
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 16:23:07 +1300, Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> wrote:

>> Has anyone tried putting a MB 300TD 5cyl in a vanagon? > >Not a marvellous engine (know someone who had a Merc 300D). If it >needs work it'll cost you both arms & a leg too...

Well, do you have a better suggestion for a significantly bigger turbo diesel for my diesel westy? The 1.9TD is very difficult to find in the US, and quite expensive, the 1.9TDI even more expensive (out of my reach entirely at the moment), although in plentiful supply. The MB 300TD however is plentiful and cheap, I can get all I want for around $800 in good running shape. And a 3L turbo diesel would power the westy quite well. Some people are buying VW 2.5TDI engines from Germany and/or SA, but those again are quite expensive, plus a lot for shipping, while I can get the MB in local junkyards. I got turned on to this idea because someone is making an adaptor for putting them in Toyota Land Cruisers and soon will have a kit for putting them in Toy4x4 trucks, which I want to do soonest with my mine. Don't know yet about the feasibility of mating the 300TD with the VW tranny tho. Why do you say it will cost "an arm and a leg" if it needs work? They've certainly been around long enough and widely used for car, truck, and boat engines, there's a plentitude of after-market parts suppliers.