Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:28:51 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Water deliberately added to gasoline?
Comments: To: warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM

He said that Arco "put" more water in their tanks than Texaco did. > At least, that's what he had heard. I asked him twice- yes, he said, > the stations add water to their gas. I asked the reason and he said > the stations were "allowed" to add water to the gas, but he had > heard that some Arco stations added more . --------------------------- Clip --------------------------- I've never heard of a station owner / manager adding water to his underground tanks. The scenario I've spoken of in the past is called 'regional blending' and it involves boosting fuel for regional use such as mountain regions or extremely cold regions. This blending is done by the petroleum manufacturer at the refinery. It is done on a seasonal basis and varies throughout the year. Car fuel tanks have a special sock type filter in the tank, usually on the end of the fuel pickup. It is designed to NOT pass water. This feature might diminish with age and condition of the filter. (not sure). If you suspect water in your fuel you just need to run a cup into a transparent glass container and take a look. The water will be sparkling little bubbles. As a pilot we use a fuel tester to test for moisture in aircraft fuel ............... you'd be surprised how much water I've found in tanks. I've refused to rent aircraft until the fuel was drained and fresh fuel installed on several occasions.

Stan Wilder

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com