Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:41:11 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: AW: Is propane more dense in cold weather?
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

Propane is sold by the gallon here. The station in question has a defective meter or employees. I'm looking into it.

Robert 1982 Westfalia

-----Stan Wilder wrote: -

<<The local LP Dealer I buy from in Dallas charges me $10.00 to fill my tank. That is his minimum sale. I buy LP fuel at rural outlets and many times as I mentioned I get for free. My friends that use LP for heating use a 120 gallon above ground tank. When they have the tank 'topped off there is no accurate way to measure the amount that is pumped into their tank'. Their tank was sitting at a down hill angle and I helped them level it up so they could use all that was there and not have fuel holding in the downhill side. Sure we know it turns into a gas but it still needs to be installed properly. Without a sight glass, scale they are buying an amount that is rounded off from a chart that converts gallons at the pump head to pounds that are delivered. The outside grill containers sell by the pound as well ................ they routinely cheat customers with less than complete fills. In the Welding gas business they love to have a novice welder return an acetylene bottle. Since the bottle is filled with a buffer (porous limestone media) the cylinders are often half full when they stop delivering acetylene to the gauges. It just requires letting them sit for a few hours for the acetylene to leech out and you can go back to welding / cutting etc. I only mention this because some LP regulators require a minimum pressure of 5 pounds to overcome the safety features. So in many cases you still have LP in your tank that you can't use. (That 5 pound safety is not universal it could be more or less depending on local safety regulations.) I've always purchased LP by the pound for my lift trucks and that is the normal practice unless you force the dealer to guess at the delivery amount.

Stan Wilder>>Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com