Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:09:02 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer Reputation  . long

You know, Jeff, you keep being the squeaky wheel yourself saying that people aren't paying attention to what you said: "This was not about Toyotas..." and "if you had bothered to read my complete post, you would have figured out that I was not knocking Hondas or Toyotas, I was comparing the WBX to other water-cooled engines." Yet, in your first post you said "I must disagree about 1980 - 1990 Honda, Toyota, etc. engines being a class above the WBX." People can only respond to what you ACTUALLY SAID, not to what you MEANT. Now, to change the playing field and bring Yugos and Fiats into the mix, well, you can always improve your statistics by comparing the wasserboxer to something that is worse and we can always run down the wasserboxer design by comparing it to the best-designed engines out there, i.e., those of Honda and Toyota. But you're right, what difference does it make? None, really. The Vanagon Westfalia is, after all, in a class of its own. If it weren't, I wouldn't own one because of all of its mechanical problems.

It's also pretty easy to come up with one's own statistics to support whatever argument they're making. For instance, your Honda has left you stranded and your Vanagon hasn't. In my case, none of my 6 Hondas has left me stranded (one's really too new to count though), but my one Vanagon has . . . twice. Furthermore, as I said, EVERY person that I've talked to (quite a few, but I don't have an actual count) that owns (owned) a Passat has had a significant number of problems with their vehicles, whereas almost every person I've ever talked to that has a Honda and/or a Toyota has had very few major problems with their vehicles. This, to me, starts to look statistically significant, but it can't really be unless I were to put together a truly objective survey and get out there and survey a meaningful number of people; ergo, this whole comparison is pretty much pointless.

Others are probably correct in pointing out that a vehicle broken in and maintained properly will have fewer problems over its lifetime. Perhaps my Hondas were well cared for by their POs and my Passat wasn't. I don't know. I do know that every car that I bought new WAS properly broken in and maintained.

Further, Barry Muller made some good points about the seats and the sheetmetal in Hondas . . . they are crap, but we were discussing the quality of the engines, not the rest of the vehicle. Rebuilding a carburetor at 90K, however, would probably generally be considered routine maintenance. I know it's a bite, mine cost about $400 on one of my Hondas. However, the 60K service on my Passat included servicing the fuel injection system in addition to the normal tune-up stuff. That service cost me over $600.

You also seem bent on telling everybody that complains about the Vanagon's problems that they should buy something else, like a Toyota camper or a Winnebago. That's not offering a valid alternative. The Vanagon camper is, despite its mechanical flaws, an ingenious design in terms of efficiency. There are very few alternatives that pack the same kind of camping gear as well into such a compact design that can also serve as a daily driver. Most of the Winnebagos that I'm familiar with are either duellies or have three axles. This configuration dictates where I can and can't camp at most festivals, leaving me stuck out in the sun with all of the big trailers and RVs with their generators and air conditioners running all night and their satellite dishes bringing in whatever NASCAR race is on that night. Unh unh, not for me. Further, the Winnebago designs, which I believe the Toyota uses (?), are not as nice as the Westfalia (in my opinion). Speaking of which, it's not VW at all that makes the best feature on our campers, it's Westfalia. Too bad Westfalia doesn't make a camper version of the Sienna . . . I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Finally, all the squeaking I could possibly do didn't get me anywhere with the VWOA service rep. regarding the problems I had with my Passat. He wouldn't guarantee that they could fix it. So, I'll continue squeaking until VW sits up and listens and gets the point.

Squeak, squeak said the wheel that NEEDED grease . . . Marc Perdue