Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:58:37 -0800
From:         Peter Lofting <lofting@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant leak in the far rear
Comments: To: John Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>

I had this happen to me and it got progressively worse to the point that I was topping up a gallon of coolant after only a 5 mile run. I could never see the source of the leak as it was right in the middle of the engine.

It turned out to be a worn water pump bearing.

The sign will be if it gets progressively worse over about 1-3 months.

Peter.

At 11:54 AM -0800 12/12/02, John Runberg wrote: >Previously, I was leaking from the thermostat housing, and not that >that's fixed I'm leaking from another place, this time in the far >rear / center of the engine which only appears after the car has >been sitting for about 8hrs. I'll notice it when I go out to go to >work and when I look underneath there's collant on the rear engine >cross bar. Looked from the top during lunch today and saw nothing >too odd. I'll dig into it this weekend when I have some free time, >but in the mean time, what are the likely culprits? Last time I'd >begin to see the leak soon after shutting the van off, but this time >is different. She runs fine and isn't overheating at all. > >TIA, > >john