Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:48:03 -0500
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: air cooled engine alternatives
Comments: To: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>

Probably uses the kit, which maintains the Corvair trans-axle. Could be running 3.27, 3.55 or 3.89 gear set. I doubt if it would do 100 mph, though. A Corvair would be turning 5000 rpm at 100 mph with the 3.55 gears. Don't think it would pull it unless it is a 180 hp turbo engine. I have the 4 carb 140 hp engine.

Jay

Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 12/12/2002 06:20:28 PM

Please respond to Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Re: air cooled engine alternatives

How many RPMs is he pulling when he goes 100MPH?

When I do 75MPH in any of my Vanagons, the engine is turning over 4000RPMs. Without a 5 speed, or a completely different tranny, wouldn't your top speed be limited by the number of RPMs the engine can turn?