Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:22:00 -0800
From:         Tracy Bonin <icculus22420@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Thoughts about Turboing a Vanagon
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

That would be awsome. I've thought about that before. Every time I watch Fast and the Furious I've wanted to add NO2 to my Vanagon. I think that would be too funny for the person behind you who gets all mad because there're behind a bus going up a hill, and they ride your ass and try to pass you. Then just as they pull into another lane to pass you, you can blow them away with a little NO2. Hehehe................. :-) If you do this Ken you should set up a web page on it, I'd like to see the work/ turnout..................... have fun, Tracy 85' GL "Ripple" Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> wrote:OK I know it sounds crazy but I have been thinking lately of turboing a Vanagon. Either a waterboxer or a Tiico conversion. Here is how I think I would do it: Waterboxer

I would install a S&S header system which collects all of the exhaust headers into one extractor pipe with a triangular three bolt flange. I would mount the turbo to this flange (located on the driver's side of the engine) and then rework the pipe going from the turbo to the catalytic convertor (shouldn't be hard as we have mig welding equipment and my Dad is a great welder.) The only two hold ups I can think of is routing the intake air (the turbo would be on the side opposite the throttle body) and the oil pickup and return for the turbo. Any thoughts or ideas? Any reason why this wouldn't work? I have heard that the fuel injection (Digifant) should automatically compensate for the increased fueling a turbo would require. Is this true or would I need a performance chip to make this work? Since I would probably we routing the intake air over the top of the transmission bellhousing there would be plenty of room for an intercooler. Do you think if I went this route I would need a knock sensor?

Tiico: Use the turbo and exhaust manifold from a 1.6l TD jetta on the Tiico engine to turbo this engine. This would be easier than the waterboxer as the oil pan for the tiico already has the oil return hole in it and tapping the block would be easy. The blocks are almost identical between the diesel and this engine so everything should bolt right up. Making up a slightly modified exhaust would be the hardest part (pretty easy) and the intake would be easier as it is on the same side as the turbo. This engine is already at 10:1 compression and has a knock sensor. I am pretty sure that the Motronic ECU would easily compensate for the turbo without much adjustments. Do you think it would work as is, or should I lower the compression ratio a little to avoid detonation? Any ideas on why this wouldn't work?

A turbo should increase horsepower 30-40%. This would mean on a waterboxer 2.1l engine we would be looking at 120 hp and the Tiico 150 hp at the 30% mark.

Just throwing this stuff out there. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242