Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:51:23 -0800
From:         dave bowers <dave@DAVE-BOWERS.COM>
Subject:      good Samaritans...

Everyday I am reminded of all the caring folks who are looking out for others.

For some time now, I've been driving around with my water proof bag on top of my Westy. It has firewood, newspaper and my gas can in it. It keeps them all them all dry, out of the van and out of sight.

At least once a day, I have a driver, or pedestrian call to me and tell me "Hey, do you know you have a bag on your roof?!"

I always smile, nod, and say. "yep, thanks."

http://dave-bowers.com/vw/bag.jpg

Here's a quick foto. Sure, it's not pretty ... but, it was only $2.00 at Goodwill. It does the job. Two things. 1. Folks just must not be familiar with VW's storage up top ... and 2. My red tie down straps do blend in, making it hard to notice that it is very secure up there.

While sitting in the Burger King drive thru, waiting on my French Toast sticks (yum), I had a cop walk up to me ... to make sure I knew I had a bag up there. He seem quite concerned.

I started keeping count of the kind reminders I received last week. 13. Almost 2 a day. One fellow almost got in to a wreck driving past me (as I was sitting at a light) with his head out the window ... (doppler style) "you have a bag on your rooooooooooooof!" I didn't have time to thank him .. but I did see him swerve in my side mirror. Kind, if not foolish fellow.

It's nice to hear all the kind reminders from folks. I got one more this beautiful Friday morning. Maybe for April Fools day, I'll put a stuffed black lab puppy up there to see what happens... hmmm the possibilities. :)

Happy Friday dave :) ___________________ dave bowers 1986 westy "hms-beagle" portland, oregon www.dave-bowers.com/vw