Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:01:50 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Thanks RE: Photo ticket at stop lights

Normally I would agree on this; if you ran the "RED" light, pay the ticket. However, there are some other issues that surround the use of photo ticketing equipment that make me say "FIGHT IT!!!" The rationale behind the installation of those systems, or at least the argument they use when trying to sell them to a locale, is the number of accidents that are caused at intersections by red-light runners would be reduced significantly by installing the photo ticketing systems. Seems reasonable enough on the surface. The problem is that the companies that supply the systems base their contracts on the amount of revenue that the ticketers generate. Localities pay stiff penalties, either directly or indirectly, if those revenue streams aren't met. If the equipment doesn't generate enough revenue, the localities reduce the time that the light is yellow, usually from about 5 seconds to 3 seconds. In addition, the sensor that they use to trigger the camera is often positioned BEFORE the wide white strip leading into the intersection. Here in Virginia, the police have told me that the law actually enables them to ticket you if you cross that line when the light is yellow. In practice, most localities only ticket you if you cross that line when the light is red. NOT the case if the sensor is BEFORE the white line.

It gets better. The IIHS has done studies that supposedly show that the presence of these photo ticketers has reduced the number of collisions at intersections. NOT TRUE!!! What is actually happening is the number of rear-end collisions at these intersections has increased dramatically as people come screeching to a halt trying not to get ticketed. I don't recall the stats on whether there has been a change in the number of fatal collisions or not. If you're interested in more information on this, check back issues of Car and Driver for Csaba Csere's insightful reporting on the topic or contact Rep. Dick Armey, who is highly upset about the photo ticketers and is gathering any and all information he can to change the situation.

If you're feeling ambitious, find out who supplies the ticketers and what the timing is on them. See if you can find out if there's a contract in place that pegs Pheonix's contract payments to revenue generated by the ticketers. See if you can find accident statistics for that intersection before and after the installation of the ticketers. You'll probably find that you have one helluva case.

Good luck with your day in court, Marc Perdue