Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:32:57 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday - Photo ticket at stop lights
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

Years ago in Anchorage, Alaska I got tagged in the "Caution changes to Red while in the intersection" bit. Choice was $50 fine and a mark on my record or $50 Defensive Driving School Fee and nothing on the record. I chose the latter. It was taught by a real pro, and was worth every cent, though I had been driving for years.

After the day long school, graduation, receiving my cerification as satisfactorily passing a defensive driving program, I drove away. it was raining. As I pulled away, driving a 1968 VW bus, I had no choice but to drive through a reather deep water puddle that had collected in the entrance to the road.

I went on down the road and several miles away was cruising along at the speed limit when I came upon a rise in the road that then suddenly turned into a good down hill grade. Ahead was a stop light at a 4 way intersection. The road to the right was residential, one car at the stop. The road to the left was a well used road, and traffic was backed up in two lanes several cars deep. At the very front of that lineup of cars was a police car waiting to turn the direction I was going.

I could see that the light was old and began to put the pressure on the brakes to slow down. The caution light came on - the light was about to change. Applied more brake pressure .... nothing.. Pushed VERY hard - solid pedal - but no speed reduction. I sat on the horn and held it down, at the same time practically standing on the brake... Still nothing. The light had changed to red just as I got to it.

I stayed on the horn and tromped the gas to the floor. Not a car had moved when I blasted through the intersection. The cop was right on my tail. I had seen heim and was already pulling over to stop. He had not even had time to turn on his lights and siren before I got stopped. I was getting out of the van and looking under the at the wheels when he walked up. I got the usual scrutiny, driver license thing, tag check. etc. I told him about discovering the rubber plugs being ou of the back plate on the wheels, that I had gone through the puddle, the brakes apparently were soaking wet and had not held, and that there was no way I would intentionally run that red light as I had just graduated from defensive driving school (grabbing my certificate off the seat and shoving it at him) , and would he please hurry as I had dribbled my shorts in that intersection.

His final word ... "Get that damn thing fixed, Sonny!" and I got no ticket!

I did just that.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver