Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:11:53 -0500
From:         alan barber <barb2375@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: T5 - why? (A little Friday)

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:36:31 -0500 From: Roger Rassche <f40ph@MSN.COM> Subject: T5 - why? (A little Friday)

>I keep reading all these previews of the T5 and keep asking, why is this >considered a major change from the T4? All it looks like to me is a nose >job and a new dash to keep up with the modern 'family' look. To me it is an >evolution like the T2a (1968-1972) to T2b (1973-1979) than worthy of a new >platform moniker. > >Roger Rassche

You ever heard the saying, "you can't judge a book by it's cover"? This may be a good example of that. The outside doesn't look much different, the dash doesn't look much different, but the drivetrain is.

For example, it will be offered in FWD, RWD, or AWD. This is a first for VW transporters, and is a huge step in the right direction for those wanting the larger version for commercial applications or for towing.

The motor combos are known for certain yet, but there is definitely a more powerful (and larger) 6 cylinder on the way, as well as a 6 cylinder TDI. There are also rumours of a W8 and/or a 8 cylinder diesel.

It looks as though there's a plan afoot ot make more room afoot. Driver and front passenger legroom seem to be enlarged substantially.

I know there's a lot of trim upgrades that are going to be available that never were before.

I'm sure there's more. It won't be too much longer before they're on the road, at least in Europe, and then we'll know lots more.

Az -- AH#56