Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:43:16 -0800
From:         Westyman <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: re. turboing a vanagon

The WBX can and will withstand more stress, IF built using proper materials, balancing where needed, and upgraded parts such as I mentioned in my last mail. It is very similar in many respects to the Type 1 engine, which certainly can be beefed up considerably and turbocharged with success. A programmable fuel system is available to take care of fueling issues. Compression must certainly be at or below 8.5:1 for sure. Vanagon oil return (ala diesel -type setup) is a non-issue. Why that rumor has spread is beyond me, mine has over 50K reliable miles with no drainage related problems, turbo is doing quite well. Proper oil and oil level are important, I suspect folks that spread this rumor have not paid attention to the importance of that. My opinions, of course! Karl Mullendore '87 Westy Syncro TD ********************************** IMHO, WBX will not stand up the added stress and heat, and I don't think it can be beefed up enough either. - Digifant, Digijet, CIS, none of them will provide enough fuel under boost. You'll go lean and melt pistons. - Even with the low compression 9 to 1 WBX you will have problems with detonation. - The 10:1 RD or HT inline 4 will be impossible to keep from detonating. A knock sensor is not a solution, lower compression is. - The oil return on the vanagon is a problem. I've seen a guy use a drain tank with a power steering pump to evacuate it, a kludge at best.

It's been done before on the vanagon, but with all turbo conversions its a never ending project.

Gary Lee http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/vanagonrack.htm