Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Dec 2002 02:49:05 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thanks RE: Photo ticket at stop lights
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

On Saturday, December 14, 2002, at 12:41 AM, David Marshall wrote:

> This also comes down to other issues as well. Say you are turning > left and > you enter the intersection while the light is green and come to a > stop... it > turns yellow and when the last straggler is through the intersection > you > then complete your turn and off you go. Usually at this time it is a > red > light and the other traffic is waiting for me to get out of the way. > Am I > in the wrong - do I deserve a ticket for being in the intersection > during > the red light (seeing how I entered when it was green)?

IN the jurisdictions I'm familiar with (DC, Md, Va, WV) yes, you deserve a ticket because you are not supposed to ENTER an intersection unless you a SURE you can clear it while legal. In other words you are supposed to wait OUTSIDE the intersection until the opposing traffic has cleared enough to permit you to travel clearly through the intersection without interference. This doesn't just apply when turning, but also when traffic is such that the is standing traffic going straight (which of course will almost always be continuously congested by Right Turn On Red drivers, who pay no attention to the fact that >YOU< have the right of way that they can not (legally) make a right turn on red for the same reason you can't cross the intersection.

In practice few of the above legal practices are followed.