Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:07:04 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: weird noise on right rear continues
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>

Clay,

Check you C/V bolts. Make damn sure they are torqued down as they should be. No if's, ands' or buts.

I went through what you are going through. Knocking when braking. Aggravated the pootie out of me. Even had my most trusted mechanic ride in my machine and he thought it was in the brakes. I became convinced it was a C/V and ordered a pair from Ken at Vanagain.com. When I got under the van and went to loosen the bolts on the outboard CV, I found three out of the six bolts so loose I was able to turn them with my fingers. With only three bolts holding, the CV was working against the hub each time the wheel went round and making a noise just like a bad CV. I was really PO'ed because it was not two long ago that I had had the bearing serviced in a shop. It was just plain sloppy workmanship. Properly torqued, those bolts should never have worked loose.

That was the second time in van ownership that after servicing in a shop the CV bolts came loose. Actually if not properly torqued, they should be considered loose, regardless. Henceforth, I do all my own CV servicing. It ain't that big of a deal. But I trust no mechanic to get it right. If there is anything that I hate more than being broken down in some isolated inconvenient place because somebody did sloppy work, I don't know what it is.

I nearly got killed in a small plane one time because some jerk hotdog mechanic did a half-assed job on a critical item. It can happen in a van or car as well.

Check your CV Bolt torque!!!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Dennis Haynes wrote: > Check the hub for tightness. A Loose-worn hub can cause clunking or > scraping noises. If hub is loose, it will need to be replaced. > > Dennis > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf > Of Clay Moore > Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2002 9:43 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: weird noise on right rear continues > > re: 82 diesel westy > > I thought i had figured this out by finding the lug bolts were a little > loose on the right rear. But...its intermittent. drove 30-40 miles > yesterday...no noise, drove last night > noise the whole time. > > i first thought it was a scraping, but maybe its a knocking noise. > occurs at the same rate of speed as the wheel rotation., sounds like its > coming from the right rear wheel. > > only on accelleration or slowing down. > > goes away, while coasting out of gear, or engaging the clutch. > > not affected by engaging brakes or emergency brake while coasting or > driving > in gear. > > seems like if it were the cv joint it would be a constant noise ? > > as suggested ,, tried driving in full tight circles, both left and > right., doesnt make noise. > > any suggestions ? >