Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Dec 2002 16:13:24 -0500
From:         Curt Lewis <curtis-l-lewis@CFL.RR.COM>
Subject:      Engine Teardown Q's

Hello all,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 1.9L from an '85 GL and have a few questions.

1st - I was able to remove the #2 wrist pin and piston using a drift and tapping the pin out of the side. However when it came to removing the #1 pin and piston, this proved to be a challenge as I couldn't get a straight enough shot to the pin using a drift. After trying to use allen wrenches as drifts, I realized I could just remove the rod, pin and piston as a whole assembly by removing the nuts from the rod cap. This is also what I ended up doing on the #3 and #4 positions as well. I would have preferred not to do it this way since there was a possibility that I could have scarred or nicked the crankshaft. Other than using the VW tool, how could I have gotten the wrist pins out?

2nd -- I haven't split the case yet, though I was hoping to get to it today but have some other place I have to be. Anyway, do I have to take out the oil seals on either side of the crankshaft prior to splitting the case? As careful as I try to be, it seems when ever I try to pry something out, I end up scratching something. The surfaces may not be all that important and a little scratch may not hurt, I don't know, but I'd rather not find out. I'm not real worried about messing up the seals since I plan on using new ones, however I really hate to destroy something if I don't have too, even if it is going to be thrown away. (Why? I don't know, just would prefer not to destroy things to remove them).

3rd -- Does the oil pump need to be removed prior to splitting the case? I took the front cover off of the oil pump and the pump housing didn't want to come out just using my fingers. I tried tapping it lightly on the side, but no go. Honestly I didn't spend that much time trying to get it out since I wanted to get this email out before I had to leave.

That's about it for now. If anyone has any other things that I should watch out for or a trick to make something go a bit easier, I'm open to any suggestions.

If I don't write again before the holidays, I hope everyone has a nice holiday season and new year.

Thanks in advance!

Later

Curt