Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Dec 2002 15:14:02 -0800
From:         H R <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thanks RE: Photo ticket at stop lights

How does one avoid camera generated tickets in everyday life? Last time I was visiting family in L.A., they told me "don't go through this stoplight and that stoplight, and avoid that corner, etc., because there are cameras, and the ticket is $500." So some people deal with this crazy Big Brother thing, by driving long detours just to avoid the cameras. What a hassle. I would slow down way before (even if the light was green), and drivers behind seemed very bothered. Once in the intersection, accelerate to get out quickly. If the light turns yellow just as you're entering the intersection, you can slam on the brake, if you're going slow enough that the driver behind you can react. The main danger is a tailgater rearending you when you try to stop for the yellow. If someone is tailgating very closely, tap on the brakes before you get to the light to warn them that you might stop, even if the light is still green. If you enter the intersection at the moment the light turns to yellow, and continue you are almost certain to get a ticket, since the cycle is so short, that you won't be out of there by the time it turns to red. My vanagon became a moving road blockade, but at least, I didn't get a ticket, and my bus didn't get rear-ended. No small feat in L.A. these days. Harald