Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:45:06 -0600
From:         Dart 330 <dart330@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Wasserboxer Reputation . long

I have only been driving (legally) for 4 years, which makes me quite young on this list. Unfortunately my parents couldn't afford to buy me a new car to last me till I'm 26 and send me off to college with it like all my other friends' parents did. So I got sucked into the VW world. All 5 cars I have owned have been purchased by myself in used condition. 1971 Super Beetle, 1962 Dodge Dart, 1974 Bus, 1985 Westy, and 1986 Cabriolet. Every single one of these cars was driveable in used condition, but not a month went by without something needing to be replaced. Everything I every replaced on these cars was due to lack of maintenance by the previous owners. Although a used car with less upkeep can be purchased for less money, it will probably cost more to drive. I just got the head gaskets done on my Vanagon with 96k miles, I did not curse the dreaded design the VW engineers came up with, but the lack of maintenance of the previous owner which used green coolant and never changed it. Now if I was to purchase a VW brand new and do the maintenance by the book (as I would love to do, but can't afford it) and that car broke down every few months and things had to be replaced all the time, I would be very upset at the company. I am guessing that the majority of the people on this list have purchased their Vanagons, some 22 years old, used. Because of this, they had no control over what the PO did, and usually the van was poorly maintained and now is a money pit. I personally will continue to throw money into my Westy until I have a massive wreck or find that perfect syncro to trade it for, but in the meantime I will keep it properly maintained and fix it correctly when things break to keep it going as long as possible, including my wasserboxer engine.

Nathan 85 Westy 86 Cabriolet

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus