Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:42:58 -0800
From:         Jack <john.cook58@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: How long should the yellow be?

On 14 Dec 2002, at 17:31, Mike Finkbiner wrote:

> "Jack" <john.cook58@verizon.net> said - > > > Since this discussion seems to revolve about the duration of the yellow

snip

> Over that last year Car & Driver has run a couple of articles on the > subject. Their contention is that cities have had good results by > lengthening the yellow from 3 to 5 seconds. They also claim that the > contracts several cities have signed with intersection camera firms > specifically outlaw lengthening the duration. Sounds like revenue > generation rather than accident prevention to me.

Agreed. I think any equipment/service contract which is based on a percentage of fines is wrong since revenue then becomes the major controlling factor.

I was hoping there might be someone on the list who's familiar with real life traffic engineering within a metro area. Again, it seems like there should be some sort of guidelines as to how long a yellow should be for safety (based on speeds, road conditions, etc.). Or is the cynical view that safety is ignored for revenue purposes what really happens? I have noted that yellows along some higher speed roadways are much longer than on some other roads (California).

> I hate people who run red lights, but I don't feel that a camera which just > takes a snapshot is the best way to solve the problem of accidents. The > rear-end collision rate has gone up some places, which a longer duration > yellow should not do. Multiple pictures makes a lot more sense. > > It does seem that some traffice enforcement methods are more for generating > revenue than reducing the accident rate. > > I would much rather see the police ticketing people who drive erratically > in traffic, don't signal, and drive through red lights instead of just > sitting on a rural highway with a radar gun.

Mostly agreed. But I think you have to acknowledge that a lot of people will speed up when they see a yellow in order to try to make it all the way through an intersection before it turns red (i.e., they presumably enter the intersection on a yellow). I see it every day. And it's a dangerous thing to do. I can't see how increasing the yellow's duration will reduce that problem. I've been told that some officers will automatically issue a citation if they observe a driver accelerating to make a yellow light.

Now when you mix that with drivers who will slow down & prepare to stop when they see a yellow (can you imagine that?), you have a dangerous mix. Rear-enders happen because of that mix & they can be bad ones. It apparently gets worse (my assumption) when people learn there's a camera at a given intersection & make bad decisions to stop when they shouldn't.

//Jack