Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:04:15 -0800
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine performance vs tire size
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@AOL.COM

Frank, I have some info for you on this . A friend from Argentina bought and drove a 82 Diesel Westfalia with his wife and dog from Oregon to Argentina this year. They had the 1.9 Diesel industrial engine and a air-cooled Vanagon transmission with the 4.57 final drive . This engine, non-turbo, is rated at 75 hp.

How did it drive? I had expected it to be the same old slowness that allowed you the time to find things on the roadside. I took it on the freeway and it cruised at 60-65 without the ear-deafening roar of the engine turning 1000 rpms faster it would be if still using the Diesel transmission.

Acceleration still not equal to a 1.8 or 2.0 gas, but much better with the new engine and trans than it was before.

Where the real surprise came was going into the foothills The extra torque of the 1.9 kept the van from bogging down in second or third.

I liked it.

He made the trip to Argentina without problems. he said it even did well up in the Andes, where they must drive over 11,000 feet.

I can't imagine what it must be like to drive around on the top of Mt Hood, but that's about the same elevation you can find there as well as some passes in the Rockies.

I barely made it over a pass in Colorado with my 2.0 Golf powered Vanagon Westfalia a few years ago- it's got to be slow in a Diesel.

They will be heading back next year to the US , -it's about 13,000 miles one way.

He plans to turbo it - could be about 90 hp if turboed. He is having his trip story published -I'll forward the link when it's out.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

Frank Wrote:

<<I'm still waiting to hear about the results obtained by the individual with the diesel westy who was advised to run the AC trans in order to reduce revs!>>

Robert 1982 Westfalia

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail