Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Dec 2002 00:01:56 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: An EGR valve question
Comments: To: tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM

Here is a great hook for you ............... the printed circuit board and wire loom in a CA exhaust system is slightly different. On the CA only dash it says O2 on the Federal it says EGR and the printed circuit is different. I can't say this will cause problems swapping from or swapping to one system vs the other but there is a difference. The CA system needs to O2 sender for the distributor advance (correct ???????????????). Lots of CA only systems have been converted to Federal systems and have been passing CA emissions. I passed rigid Texas emissions with a Federal System and no EGR parts at all, just the catalytic converter and muffler.

Stan

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 21:31:34 -0800 Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM> writes: > Hi all: > > I'm still struggling to figure out if I'm going to keep the exhaust > system > on my '82 as the original "Federal" system or convert over to the > California > system. I've got pieces of both systems and can get the rest, one > way or > another. But, if I convert to the California exhaust setup the EGR > system > changes radically. > > Here's the question: > > Is the EGR valve itself the same on the Federal and California > systems? > > The '82 seems to have a more-or-less working EGR valve (the rest of > the > system is pretty poor) and it looks like the California > EGR-filter-to-EGR-valve pipe (which I have) will fit, but I'm not > sure if > the internal workings and settings are the same on Federal and > California > systems. The manuals certainly indicate you adjust them > differently, but > I'm not sure if that's because of different smog standards or > different > functioning. Anybody have any part #'s? > > TIA. > --------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Young '81 Vanagon > Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia > --------------------------------------------------------------- > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com