Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:47:38 -0500
From:         Robert Donalds <bostneng@FCL-US.NET>
Subject:      Re: Top Overhauls
Comments: To: John Rodgers <j_rodgers@charter.net>

John Top end over hauls are a repair not a rebuild and the only way to see what the lower end looks like is to open it up. I cant say if you do this and check that the engine is good for x number of miles each engine has lived a differant life. That said the con rods are the same on the 1.9 and the 2.1 the differance is the bolts both distort but the 2.1 is by far more likley to fail. The 1.9 rod bolt is no longer availible at the dealer and so I use rebuilt 1.9 rods on my rebuilt engines. The problem of the rod distortion is seen on 2.1 engines with over 100 K and as time goes by the distortion increases as does the bearing wear. The two points I make thats most often missed is that you need to measure the heck out of the engine parts and then instead of shopping for price find somebody that can get you the right parts and provide you with tech support. its always cheaper to go this route

going faster miles an hour and standing by I remain Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com as always all rights reserved