Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:24:54 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Engine Performance vs Tire Size/Comments Redux
Comments: To: FrankGRUN@AOL.COM

Frank, I am disappointed here... usually you are the guy who can throw some formulas at this! :) Perhaps you can do this in the future?

The tire size / engine choice issue is always at play with me. My current daily driver is a 1986 Syncro 'Pop-Top' Weekender with a bone stock 1.9L Turbo Diesel and a bone stock 4.86:1 final drive transmission and some 205R16 tires on there inflated to factory specs. Power to me seems to me quite adequate - is it as fast as my 2.0L I4 Syncro DoKa with a few performance mods??? Top speed wise no, initial getup and go (sub 3000 RPM) - it is faster. I don't need to go faster than 130km/h and I can maintain 100km/h on the flats and 80km/h on the grades - it IS a Vanagon that I am driving after all and 11L/100km for fuel consumption isn't all that bad either so this combo works for me.

My winter project involves putting the following together:

- 1988 Syncro DoKa (4.86:1 final .85 4th) - 2001 New Beetle 1.9L ALH TDI Engine

I also have sitting on my garage floor in a nice crate from Germany a locking 5.43:1 final drive gear box set and a locking front diff to match. The gears are the same as the 4.86:1 final drive transmission with the exception of 4th gear which is a .77 instead of a .85. If you do all the 'math' you will get the same vehicle speed at the same RPM with both transmission in 4th gear. The lower gears will differ in vehicle speed due to the final drive. This transmission in the create is from a 1990 German Military Turbo Diesel. Once I encounter a 10% grade will the 4.86/.85 offer more, less or equal 'staying' power than the 5.43/.77 - this assumes equal engines and equal vehicles are behind these transmissions.

Somewhere in all of this has to be a nice workable formula to make all of this make since... with your background I am sure you can come up with one. It would have to take a lot of things into consideration.

- power / torque at a given RPM - weight of rotating mass - final drive - gear ratio - weight of driven vehicle - aerodynamics of vehicle

There are a lot of variables and I am sure that isn't the complete list, but if there was a formula for this it would eliminate this 'seat of the pants' stuff it would be great as most people WANT to feel and improvement.

I know that by using the same 1, 2 and 3 gears with a higher (number) final drive transmission my power to the wheels will be multiplied by difference between the two gear boxes and I will have better acceleration but a lower top speed due to gearing. But, by how much is this difference in power in quantitative terms? If said vehicle goes from 2000 to 4000 RPM in 10 seconds with a 4.86:1 ring and pinion how much faster would it happen with a 5.43:1 or a 5.86 or a 6.19? What happens if you change the gear by 10%? What happens if you change the tire size by 10% What happens if you change the weight by 10%

Is it more accurate to figure out how much power is needed to make a mass move from X speed to Y speed and then work backwards to get a engine and gearing combo to achieve this?

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models