Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:14:31 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Meter recommendation

In a message dated 12/18/02 12:55:57 AM, stcullen@TELOCITY.COM writes:

<< I also agree with getting a Fluke. I've had my digital model going on 14 years, and it's never let me down even though I treat it like it's in the starring role of a Timex commercial. >>

In a previous posting, I too recommended a Fluke meter. I guess what it comes down to is how many VOM's you want to have to buy in your lifetime. I've bought more than one Fluke, but I have never had to replace one, I just added to the arsenal.

The leads on a cheap meter will be the first thing to go south. No big deal you say? It is a big deal if a cheap lead with an intermittent open is leading you around in circles. Also, try scratching though the oxidation found on nearly any terminal in a Vanagon one to many times with a cheap lead and see what happens to the probe. So, with a cheap meter, you either buy some good leads, which end up costing as much as the meter, or you buy another cheap meter which places you back on square one. If you do buy a set of good leads, the switches on the el cheapo meter will be the next thing to come up lame.

The most overriding reason to by a Fluke is that a lessor creature will go sour when you need it the most, i.e., when you are using it. If you still cannot justify the expense (anymore, about the cost of dinner and a movie or a concert ticket), go out and steal one. The lapse of morality will prove worthwhile.

George