Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Dec 2002 06:26:49 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: repairing the idle stabilizer unit?

In a message dated 12/18/2002 3:19:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

> Re: repairing the idle stabilizer unit? > Funny thing is I have one on my desk also that I just opened up and see some burnt components. Must be they are all dying at the same time. I think this is the problem to my "cold start problem" that I was inquiring about last week. I have two units here and using either one of them did not change the erratic idle on cold start. I decided to open one up and found a burnt transistor or so it seems. I am presuming the other, original one is probably the same story inside. I will open it up soon and have a look. So, this topic of repairing this little box is especially intriguing to me in light that the cost of this little box is so astronomical. My dealer price is around $350 CND with suggested retail at just over $400 CND. OUCH big time ! I see the Bus Depot has them for $239 or $249, I forget exactly, but whatever there must be a cheaper fix for this guy. The number for the transistor, BD 438, from the message in the archives, where did it come from ? I see no number on the transistor on the board I have here. Would an electronics supply shop know this information ? I also see what looks like to be a capacitor that has some burnt marks around it. I suppose it must be removed to test it ? At least it has markings on it so it probably can be procured and replaced. Forging ahead on repair of the idle stabiliser control unit !

Cheers

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 12 ~ 15, 2003 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/">IWCCC</A> & Capital City VW Club Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com